- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1-1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 drops red food coloring, optional
- 9 ounces white baking chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
- 3/4 cup crushed candy canes (about 10 regular)
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a 13x9-in. baking pan with parchment paper, letting ends extend up sides.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk and extract. Gradually beat in flour. Press evenly into prepared pan.
- Bake 16-19 minutes or until edges are brown. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- In a bowl, combine buttercream ingredients; beat until smooth. Spread over shortbread. Carefully spread white chocolate over top. Sprinkle with candy canes; let stand until set.
- Lifting with parchment paper, remove shortbread from pan. Cut into bars. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forCandy Cane Shortbread Bars
"If you like peppermint you will love this. It was good."
"Yummy and easy to make!"