Breakfast Danish Crisps
This treasured recipe has been in the family for nearly 50 years. The tender, flaky treats make holiday breakfasts even more special.
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + rising Bake: 15 min./batch
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups sugar, divided
- 1/2 cup plus 6 tablespoons butter, softened, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 5-1/2 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup butter, lemon zest, salt, mace, eggs and 2 cups flour; beat well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough into a large rectangle, about 1/4 in. thick. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar. Fold in half lengthwise; roll to 1/4-in. thickness. Spread with 2 tablespoons butter; sprinkle with 1/3 cup sugar.
- Fold in half widthwise; roll to an 18x10-in. rectangle. Spread with remaining butter. Combine the cinnamon and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over dough to within 1/4 in. of edges. Roll up tightly, starting with a short side; pinch to seal. Cut into 1/2-in. slices.
- Place on greased baking sheets (four to six slices per sheet). Cover with waxed paper and flatten with palm of hand. Sprinkle with remaining cinnamon-sugar. Let stand in a warm place for 30 minutes.
- Bake at 400° for 12-15 minutes. Immediately remove from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 322 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 49mg cholesterol, 236mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.