Boston Cream Pie with Chocolate Glaze
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + cooling Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package yellow cake mix (regular size)
- 1-1/2 cups cold whole milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons hot water
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions. Pour into two greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake at 350° for 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing cake from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Cover and refrigerate.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate and butter; stir until smooth. Stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough water to achieve a thick glaze; set aside.
- Place one cake layer on a serving plate; spread with pudding. Top with the second cake layer. Spoon chocolate glaze over the top, allowing it to drip down sides of cake. Refrigerate until serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 397 calories, 17g fat (5g saturated fat), 55mg cholesterol, 409mg sodium, 57g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
May 12, 2019
Very good and really easy if you make filling and cake ahead and refrigerate, then day of serving just make the glaze. I don't make the glaze as the recipe states. I use 3 T. of cocoa instead of the chocolate.
Feb 19, 2015
Yummy dessert that can be made a day or 2 ahead! For easy, delicious cream filling, prepare pudding mix with 3/4 cup half & half and 3/4 cup milk. I use this filling for cream puffs and trifles too!
Oct 6, 2013
Quick, easy, and tasty too.
Nov 15, 2012
made this for boyfriends bday. he has to be gluten free. always nervous tryin new. used gf cake mix. came out wonderful! easy recipe to convert! can't wait to make for family function.
Jul 19, 2011
Swedeheart-- I'd love to have your F.F. recipe for Bav. Cream! 'Bet it's fantastic in this and other recipes.
Apr 14, 2011
Made this tonight for my husband's birthday and we LOVED it. Very good.
Apr 5, 2011
Really good, but for the custard layer I prefer Bavarian Cream (The Fannie Farmer Cookbook). Let me know if anyone wants the recipe. It is my staple recipe for cream puffs, cream pie filling and cake filling.
Jun 10, 2010
VERY GOOD and easy. =) It kind of fell over, but it was SO yummy! my brothers loved it.
Sep 8, 2009
Okay... I made this today. I have mixed feelings. The directions will produce the same cake as pictured. True. The icing is okay. The cake okay. But the filling....YUCK! I mean that artificial vanilla pudding mix has such an artificial flavor! If there was a way to doctor up the filling, I would have given a more favorable comment. I will probably not make this again if I have use artificially flavored vanilla instant pudding as the filling.
Sep 15, 2008
love it love it