Big & Buttery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Flatten each to 3/4-in. thickness (2-1/2-in. diameter), smoothing edges as necessary. Place in an airtight container, separating layers with waxed or parchment paper; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To bake, place dough portions 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are golden brown (centers will be light). Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 311 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Jul 22, 2018
I hope I can ask this - wondering if there are any changes for high altitude cooking. I usually have to add more flour, water, cornstarch maybe even adjust the cooking temp or time. Thank you
Jul 9, 2018
Sorry but I just had to laugh at some of the comments where people are bent out of shape that these aren't "Joanna Gains" recipes. Really? Who cares! I didn't even notice any mention of of her until I read the reviews. I would rather hear unbiased reviews from a sampling of readers who have tried this recipe...unless Joanna Gaines has unique taste buds that speak for the majority of people. With that said, based on real reviews by numerous people who have tried this recipe, it sounds amazing and I will be trying it as well.
May 13, 2018
I omit the nuts and add more chocolate chips but definitely the best chocolate chip cookie out there!
May 1, 2018
they were so delicious and soft my children ate most of them in 2 days
Apr 12, 2018
The only thing people should be disappointed in is their own inability to read. It says right in the beginning these are recipes for the types of food JoAnna likes. Jeepers... with that being said, these cookies are amazing!!! My new go to recipe.
Apr 11, 2018
Who cares where this recipe originated ?? Its the best CC cookie I have baked. I am an experience baker for over 40 years. They came out perfect and tasted chewy and yummy! I baked 11 min and cooled on pan about 2 , then removed to a cooling rack. I toasted my walnuts and made as recipe stated, but chilled longer, I will make again . I cut recipe to 1/2 & makes about 2 doz -- perfect for 2 of us -- thanks for sharing this recipe .
Apr 9, 2018
I agree. I was mislead to believe these cookies were a recipe from Joanna Gaines. Disappointed as well.
Apr 8, 2018
I agree with teryn69. You are being deceitful in making the reader think they are seeing a Joanna Gaines recipe, when that is not the case at all. I would not expect this from you and am very disappointed.
Apr 8, 2018
My. Cookies come out flat
Apr 8, 2018
I followed this recipe with the header "Joanna Gaines' Favorite Recipes". Following the link, which said Joanna-Approved Big & Buttery Chocolate Chip Cookies, Joanna has a well-documented love for chocolate chip cookies—they’re even appearing in her new cookbook!However this isn't a Joanna Gaines' recipe. None of the 20 recipes are Joanna's. I don't expect someone like Joanna Gaines would swipe 20 recipes and call them her own in a cookbook with her name on it. Very disappointed in TOH to get me here under false pretenses. I expect better.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.