Big & Buttery Chocolate Chip Cookies
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (12 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugars until blended. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In a small bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into butter mixture. Stir in chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Shape 1/4 cupfuls of dough into balls. Flatten each to 3/4-in. thickness (2-1/2-in. diameter), smoothing edges as necessary. Place in an airtight container, separating layers with waxed paper or parchment; refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- To bake, place dough portions 2 in. apart on parchment-lined baking sheets; let stand at room temperature 30 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 400°.
- Bake until edges are golden brown (centers will be light), 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
Test Kitchen variations
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 311 calories, 19g fat (8g saturated fat), 38mg cholesterol, 229mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 20, 2018
These are the best! I baked these right away, skipping the step requiring these put in the fridge overnight., and they turned out great. I also omitted the nuts since my family does not care for them.
Jul 22, 2018
I hope I can ask this - wondering if there are any changes for high altitude cooking. I usually have to add more flour, water, cornstarch maybe even adjust the cooking temp or time. Thank you
May 13, 2018
I omit the nuts and add more chocolate chips but definitely the best chocolate chip cookie out there!
May 1, 2018
they were so delicious and soft my children ate most of them in 2 days
Apr 12, 2018
These cookies are amazing!!! My new go-to recipe.
Apr 11, 2018
This is the best CC cookie I have baked. I am an experienced bake for over 40 years. They came out perfect and tasted chewy and yummy! I baked 11 min and cooled on pan about 2, then removed to a cooling rack. I toasted my walnuts and made as recipe stated, but chilled longer, I will make again . I cut recipe to 1/2 and makes about 2 doz -- perfect for 2 of us -- thanks for sharing this recipe.
Apr 8, 2018
My. Cookies come out flat
Sep 17, 2017
Great easy recipe for the best. Chocolate cookies!
Sep 4, 2017
I didn't have all the ingredients for my 'go to' cookie recipe so I tried these. I will definitely make these again.
Jan 29, 2017
Definitely the best recipe. Not using shortening has been a challenge, with this recipe you only use butter. And I found if you chill the dough for about an hour you get thicker cookies so they are soft on the inside.