Fancy Peanut Butter Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Dash salt
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips, melted
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream the shortening, peanut butter and sugars until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in milk and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture and mix well.
- Roll into 1-in. balls. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 10-12 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter, shortening, peanut butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the milk, vanilla and salt until smooth. Frost cookies. Combine melted chips and milk; drizzle over frosting.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat peanut butter is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 227 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (21g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 23, 2014
Wonderful recipe. I used 1/2 c butter & 1/2 c butter crisco and they turned out just like the picture. This is the best peanut butter cookie recipe I have found. They freeze well too. The icing tastes great on graham crackers also.
Oct 8, 2013
At first you think "peanut butter frosting?!?", but this cookie was delicious and easy to make. Everyone loved them!
Oct 21, 2012
These cookies are delicious and pretty!
Sep 17, 2010
I made these cookies and unfortunately for my family was not impressed. But... the pictures looks different than my cookies, probably because I always use butter in my cookies and not shortening.
Sep 15, 2010
Excellent recipe. You can decorate the cookies quickly by putting the icing in a decorating bag with a large tip. Pipe the frosting on. If you'd like more chocolate, melt 2 cups semi sweet chips with 12 T butter, cool for a few minutes, and put a spoonful on top of frosting, spreading into a circle. This makes a soft chocolate glaze with a bit more punch than the original recipe.
Jan 17, 2010
These were very easy and came out great! Anybody who loves peanut butter will love these. I must admit I didn't do the chocolate drizzle icing part. I thought these were great with out that. I will definitely make these again!
Jan 10, 2010
Wow-- a PB cookie recipe with PB frosting (I'll bet it is to die for!). Love the decorative choclate swirl on the top....OK...I will bake these for my family, but I can already tell you..THEY WON'T LAST LONG!! LOL!!!!
Jan 10, 2010
Very easy to make! Received many compliments on how soft they are!