- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Colored sprinkles, optional
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla and bananas. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to banana mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Fill 18 paper-lined muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy; add enough milk to achieve desired spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes. Garnish with sprinkles if desired. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Reviews forBanana Cupcakes
"Only made the cupcakes but wow they are yum!!"
"....I'm making this again for the second time."
"This was a great family get together desert the kids love making them"
"These cupcakes are so delicious! My boyfriend wanted Banana Cupcakes for his birthday, so I tried this recipe for the first time and I was very pleased. The bake time says 15 mins, but I found that it took a little longer, more like 20 mins. I'm sure it varies by oven. All in all, I will make these cupcakes again for sure. Very yummy to the tummy! Go banana cupcakes!!"
"I made these cupcakes and loved them! I took them to 2 different get togethers and they were gone in minutes! The frosting didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, would use a different recipe for that because I'm not an experienced cook I'm not 100% sure on what to add to made it better..but the cupcake recipe was fabulous!"
"I made this more of a vegan recipe with some alterations. I used soy margarine for the shortening, whole wheat white flour for the flour, egg replacer for eggs, organic unrefined sugar for sugar and since I didnt have any almond milk or buttermilk, I used my son's milk and added about a teaspoon of vinegar to sour it and made my own vegan cream cheese frosting. These cupcakes are wonderful. Very moist. I wanted to make cupcakes for my son's birthday in August and did a pretest of this one and will definelty be using this recipe for his cupcakes."
"These banana cupcakes were very moist and delicious. I did not use the confectioners' sugar frosting, I thought it would have been to sweet. The cupcakes were a huge hit."
"I loved the cupcakes and would make them again. I liked the mild banana favor and that it wasn't heavy liked a muffin. I used bananas that I had frozen and I plan to make more this week and freeze for a quick not too sweet treat. With or without icing they are very good!"
"This was a good banana cupcake, kind of plain though - I added chocolate chips to the batter and they tasted so much better! I used a homemade creamcheese frosting for these also."
"Would coconut sprinkled on top of the frosting be good?"