Applesauce Cake Roll
This old-fashioned roll is pretty for parties and great for gifts, but it's also a real treat for a coffee break.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins
- Additional confectioners' sugar, optional
- In a bowl, beat eggs. Combine flour, cinnamon and cloves. Add to eggs along with sugar; mix well. Add applesauce. Line a 15x10x1-in. pan with waxed paper, and grease and flour the paper. Pour batter into pan. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes. Turn out onto a linen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Peel off paper and roll cake up in towel. Let cool. Meanwhile, for filling, beat cream cheese, milk and sugar in a small bowl. Stir in raisins. Unroll cake; spread filling to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Dust with confectioners' sugar if desired. Refrigerate until serving time. Cut into 1-in. slices.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 254 calories, 10g fat (6g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 96mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Applesauce Cake Roll in Grandma's Great Desserts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.