Apple Butter Biscuit Breakfast Bake
My grandmother created this recipe to use up the leftovers from Christmas Eve dinner. By combining the leftover ham and biscuits with her homemade apple butter, milk and eggs, she could serve us all a warm, delicious breakfast and still have time to spend with the grandchildren. —Marty Leverette, Columbia, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 50 min. + standing
- 10 leftover biscuits (3-inch diameter)
- 3/4 cup apple butter
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-1/2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 6 large eggs
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- Cut biscuits crosswise in half. Spread apple butter over cut sides of biscuits. Replace tops. Cut each biscuit into quarters; arrange in a single layer in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Top with cheese, ham and parsley.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt, pepper and mustard. Pour over biscuits. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Remove strata from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, uncovered, until puffed and edges are golden brown, 50-60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 331 calories, 15g fat (7g saturated fat), 126mg cholesterol, 976mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 16g protein.
Oct 13, 2019
Feb 3, 2019
Amazing! I didn't have leftover biscuits, so I just baked up a tube of flaky biscuits and used those. We loved the sweetness and spice of the apple butter with the ham and cheddar.