Almond Peach Gelato
Total TimePrep: 30 min.+ chilling Process: 20 min. + freezing
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 4 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 to 3 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 package (16 ounces) frozen unsweetened sliced peaches, thawed and chopped
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- In a small heavy saucepan, heat milk to 175°; stir in confectioners' sugar until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into egg yolks. Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Add lemon zest.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in extract. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in the peaches, cream and almonds. Press waxed paper onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's directions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. When ice cream is frozen, transfer to a freezer container; freeze for 2-4 hours before serving.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 132 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 29mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Jul 4, 2013
I made this as one of my 4th of July desserts. My mother in law found out recently she's a diabetic. I knew this would be perfect since se loves anything with peaches. She took a taste and loved it! I'm checking this site for a lot of holiday diabetic desserts.'cause I love cooking and baking with sugars and ect, but need to find healthy ones for my momma in law. Thank you taste of home and creator of this gelato. Great hit!!