- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1-1/3 cups vegetable oil
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 2 cups finely shredded zucchini
- 1 cup coarsely chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 5 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whole or chopped pecans or walnuts for garnish, optional
- In a large bowl beat eggs and sugar until frothy. Gradually beat in oil. Combine dry ingredients; add to batter. Beat 4 minutes. Stir in carrots, zucchini and nuts. Pour into three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for about 35 minutes or until top springs back when lightly touched. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans. Cool thoroughly on a wire rack.
- For frosting, beat cream cheese and butter in a large bowl until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla. Continue beating until sugar is dissolved. Spread between the layers and over the top and sides of the cake. Garnish with whole or chopped nuts if desired. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Zucchini Carrot Cake
"I made this cake for my mother/father-in-law's 75th Wedding Anniversary party. I baked it in a 12"x17" pan, omitting the nuts but adding raisins. I frosted it with the Philadelphia Cream Cheese frosting, (I've made the frosting recipe many times). It was very delicious and there were lots of compliments. I loved the moist cake and I tried telling everyone it was healthy with all of the carrots and zucchini, LOL! This cake earned a place in my permanent recipe box."
"Wow! Delicious cake! Very flavorful and love the icing.. Will definitely be making again."
"Very delicious cake! I only have 2, 8" round pans. I hesitated baking it at the same temp, but followed the directions and cooked it just a hair longer. It turned out perfect and tasted fabulous. I'll be keeping the cream cheese frosting recipe on hand too! Perfect!"
"Excellent very moist, and light weight. I substitued the nuts with raisins and used a 9x13 pan [bake for 1 hour]. One recipe of frosting is more than enough to ice cake. Yummy"
"This is the most delicious zucchini cake EVER! So moist and flavorful that it tops my desert list."
"Y.U.M. Made it just the way it is written (included pecans) except baked it in 2 10" round pans. Huge hit with everyone in the family."
"i just made this cake the other day and my family loves it! i will definitely make it again. i did make some substitutions to it, though. i used a multigrain baking mix instead of flour (the same 2 1/2 cups) and instead of oil i used applesauce (the same 1 1/3 cups). i feel that this added a healthier touch, and still kept the cake moist and delicious! my toddler (not even quite two years old) loves it! i made a single layer cake, and with the rest of the batter i made muffins. i wish i could give this recipe more stars!"
"Anxious to try this recipe - have not made it yet."
"Excellent cake! Very tasty."
"This is one of "the best" cakes I've made in a long time. This cake is very moist, and with the spices added, it reminded me of a homemade spice cake. I didn't add nuts in the cake batter, but rather topped the cake with a few chopped pecans. I also used 1 cup of whole wheat flour, and 1-1/2 cups of all-purose flour (instead of using the 2-1/2 cups of the all-purpose flour); plus I didn't make an entire 3-layer cake. Instead, I frosted 3-single layered cakes, topped each with chopped pecans, and gave 2 of the cakes to others, and kept for my husband and I. Needless to say the cake didn't last long in our house. Also, when I frosted the cake, I used 6 cups of the confectioners' sugar, as I thought the frosting wasn't the right consistency for me. I ended up with a bit more frosting, but stored the extra frosting in the refrigerator to use later. I wish I could rate this recipe with more stars, as this cake is sooo good. I look forward to making this cake again. Thanx for the recipe!"