- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup crushed crisp rice cereal
- 15 red and/or green maraschino cherries, halved and patted dry
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in almond extract. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to the creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.
- Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in crushed cereal. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 12-15 minutes or until lightly browned. Immediately press a cherry half into the center of each cookie. Remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Yuletide Cherry Cookies
"Even though the name of the cookies are Yuletide Cherry Cookies, I make these all year long. In my family cookies are one of the favorite desserts and I make all kinds. This is particularly good because of the crunchiness of the crispy rice cereal. We love them!Nancy Foust (_nlfPA)Field Editor PA"
"This cookie has been a tradition in our house. Of course, kids are grown up now, but still make them with some substitutions I use bran flakes for rice cereal I add dates, chopped cherries, and raisins to the batter. So good!"
"AWESOME!!!!!! I would not change a thing I have been making these cookies for Christmas for the last 4 years and I always end up making at least 3 recipes my family and I love love love them"
"Great cookies MINUS the rice cereal. I used colored sugars instead. Red with a green cherry and green with a red cherry. Festive and yummy!"
"I made these cookies for our church's High Tea. I replaced the maraschino cherries with the canned cherry pie filling. Make sure the rice cereal is crushed really fine and barely roll the balls in it. There were delightful!!"