Cherry Pinwheel Cookies
A crisp, light textured cookie with a mild cherry flavor will add great color to your holiday cookie tray.—Jenn Reagan, Maple Valley, Washington
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cherry extract or cherry brandy
- Red paste food coloring
- 1/4 cup ground almonds
- Coarse sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour.
- Divide dough in half. Add cherry extract to 1 half and tint red. Knead almonds into remaining half. Wrap each half; refrigerate at least 3 hours or until firm enough to roll.
- On a baking sheet, roll each portion between 2 sheets of waxed paper into a 15x8-in. rectangle. Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- Remove waxed paper. Place almond rectangle on top of cherry rectangle. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side. Roll in coarse sugar; wrap securely. Refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Unwrap and cut dough crosswise into 1/4-in. slices. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 105 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 18mg cholesterol, 67mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.