- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium yellow summer squash, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and leek in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add squash; saute 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Discard thyme sprigs. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in lemon juice and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and lemon peel. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Yellow Squash Soup
Sort By :
"Eating this now & it is DELICIOUS!! SOOOOO good!! I created an account just to give this review because its that amazing!! Definitely something I will continue to make as a family meal. Thank you!!"
"Awesome! I did not take out the seeds as my blendec blender just chops them right up. Delicious and tastes like soup you would get at a five star restaurant. Highly recommend."
"Great and easy recipe! I used frozen yellow squash with seeds and added a handful of carrots. I used my smart stick instead of food processor. Delicious!"
"Had a few squash and some thyme leftover from Thanksgiving, and this was a perfect way to use them. I didn't bother to puree, just mashed them with a fork and added a little gravy flour and a a bit of cream. Delicious!"
"This soup is delicious! It.s lo-cal. Can be eaten hot or cold."