- 2 large sweet onions, chopped
- 1 medium leek (white portion only), chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 medium yellow summer squash, seeded and cubed
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 4 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/8 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a large saucepan, saute onions and leek in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add squash; saute 5 minutes. Stir in the broth, thyme and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until squash is tender.
- Discard thyme sprigs. Cool slightly. In a blender, process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to the pan. Stir in lemon juice and hot pepper sauce; heat through. Sprinkle each serving with cheese and lemon peel. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Yellow Squash Soup
Sort By :
"This soup is delicious! It.s lo-cal. Can be eaten hot or cold."
"My husband told me this is his new favorite soup ever! I picked fresh summer squash from our garden for this recipe. I only had one onion and no fresh thyme. In place of the fresh thyme I used 1 tsp ground thyme. I love that this didn't use cream and was still a creamy and delicious soup! Will definitely be making this one again!"
"I made this recipe with three yellow squash and three green squash because that's what was in my refrigerator. Also didn't have any leeks, do I didn't use them. I also didn't take the seeds out of the squash. I loved using my food processor and my vita-mix blender and both were called for in this recipe. Using the vita-mix blender, there wasn't anything left to the seeds, the ingredients blended beautifully and was light and creamy with out any heavy ingredients!!!This was fun to cook. Quick and easy and so yummy!!"