- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon fat-free milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Dash salt
- In a large bowl, beat the sugars, eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla until well blended. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, allspice and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture until blended. Stir in carrots and walnuts.
- Pour into a 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk and vanilla until fluffy. Add confectioners' sugar and salt; beat until smooth. Spread over top of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 24 servings.
Reviews for Wonderful Carrot Cake
"I too thought this was dry (but it could be that I baked it too long). Does have a great flavor and is easy to make. May try again and only bake for 40 min instead of 45."
"sorry, i forgot to said, I only use half of sugar... :)"
"this is the MOST DELICIOUS AND SUPER LIGHT CARROT CAKEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!Very moist, and tender and delicious..I made it many, many, many times... it's my super favorite and the number 1 in my list of carrot cake... Really, you must do it.. :)"
"I took this cake to a church picnic yesterday and everyone really liked it. It was very moist and light. I will definitely make this again."
"I thought it was a very good carrot cake...I left out the nuts because my son doesn't like them. I thought the frosting was excellent. I frosted about 2/3 of the cake with this recipe and made 1/3 of the frosting recipe using soy cream cheese and milk and it turned out well, too. I never would have guessed it was a "healthy" cake!"
"I like to use pineapple in my cake\\\"
"We are diabetic so I made this recipe substituting Splenda and Splenda Brown Sugar. I came out very moist. Instead of the cream cheese frosting, I used Cool Whip Lite. Would definitely make again."
"I made it for Easter only I didn't get it made until Monday. I ranout of time and oven space. But everyone loved it. My daughter even took it for her school lunch. I have made other Carrot Cakes but I liked that this one had applesauce in it. I hope to make it often. It is better than any box mix."
"I have not made this cake yet. But I will, as I think it sounds delicious I have read the comments though. I think some of these raters are making a different cake then this one submitted by Taste of Home. I have read this recipe forwards and backwards and pineapple is not listed in this recipe. It does have applesauce. But Albertagirl40 did send a cake Carrot Recipe and it has pineapple, not applesauce in that recipe. That might be why some thought it was too dry. Two different recipes should not be rated the same. And a recipe other than Taste of Home should not be rated here."
"Used as an Easter morning treat! Enjoyed by all and recipe was shared!"