Wild Rice Stuffed Squash Recipe
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2-1/3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped Diamond of California Pecan Halves, toasted
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 medium acorn squash (about 22 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup water
- In a large saucepan, combine the rice with contents of seasoning mix, broth, sage and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 23-25 minutes or until rice is tender and liquid is almost absorbed. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute celery and onion in oil until tender. Stir in cranberries, pecans and parsley. Remove from the heat. Stir in rice mixture.
- Cut squash in half widthwise. Remove and discard seeds and membranes. With a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each half so squash sits flat. Fill squash halves with about 1/2 cup rice mixture. Place in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Pour water into pan.
- Coat one side of a large piece of heavy-duty foil with cooking spray. Cover pan tightly with foil, coated side down. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until squash is tender. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Wild Rice Stuffed Squash(4)
Sort By :
iI've made these recipe many times over the last few years. Everyone I have made it for loves it.
These were absolutely delicious! The cranberries and pecan halves gave this a very harvesty/Christmasy taste and they came out of the oven perfectly cooked.
I am going to make this for dinner tonight with a few slices of pot roast and a savory gravy with the same seasonings as the stuffing. yum yum Darlene Hall
More Recipe Collections
- Acorn Squash Recipes >
- Baking Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Cranberry Recipes >
- Cranberry Stuffing >
- Dried Cranberry Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Pecan Recipes >
- Rice Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Squash Recipes >