My niece makes this in a slow cooker by putting in all the ingredients but the cheese. When the veggies are tender, she adds the cubed cheese and 5 minutes later, a nutritious meal is served. —Jean Hall, Rapid City, South Dakota
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 2 small red potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2-3/4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons reduced-sodium chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 3 cups frozen California-blend vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fully cooked lean ham
- 8 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large nonstick saucepan coated with a cooking spray, cook onion and celery over medium heat until onion is tender. Stir in the potatoes, water and bouillon. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Return to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in condensed soup until blended.
- Reduce heat; add vegetables and ham. Cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Stir in cheese until melted. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Veggie Cheese Soup in Healthy Cooking February/March 2009, p41
Reviews for Veggie Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review