Vanilla Ring Cake Recipe
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 to 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream shortening and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder and baking soda; add to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating well after each addition.
- Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency; drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Vanilla Ring Cake(8)
Sort By :
Maybe it was my oven- but I baked for 55 minutes and it was way too dry- taste was ok- but will bake 5 or 10 minutes less next time
This was very good. The only adjustment was that I used half butter flavored shortening and half regular. I didnt have buttermilk so I mixed a cup of milk with 1 TBSP of lemon juice let sit for 5 min before using it. It came out very light and fluffy.
This cake is simple to make but definatly lacking in flavor. It is way too sweet and I even took out a quarter cup of the sugar. The batter mixed up so nice and fluffy and I was excited to see the results but was ultimately dissappointed. My kids who love everything I bake even said this wasn't their favorite. A simple strusel coffee cake is loads better. This cake is not worth the calories. Wont be making again.
Surprisingly delicious cake. Even though the recipe explains extra vanilla extract, I admit I was a bit skeptical but I followed the instructions and it was great. Also it very easy to make.
This was easy to make and my family loved it...even my husband who isn't a sweet eater!! It will be a new favorite for us!!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Birthday Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Bundt Cake Recipes >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Low Sodium Desserts >
- Low Sodium Recipes >