- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 12 slices French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 8 eggs
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon orange liqueur, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon butter flavoring
- Place butter in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine the sugar, pecans, orange peel and cinnamon; sprinkle over butter. Arrange bread in dish. Dot with cream cheese. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, orange juice, orange liqueur if desired and butter flavoring; pour over bread. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. To serve, invert slices onto plates. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Upside-Down Orange French Toast
"I found this recipe but as I made it found I did not have half the ingredients. Substitutes 50/50 orange juice and tropical fruit juice for the 1 cup Orange juice, had no cream cheese and used sliced almonds instead of pecans - still tasted wonderful. I only made 7 slices as we only have 2 adults, a 2 year old and a 4 year old, next time I will only make 5 slices as the french toast was way too filling for us (even the adults) to eat it all."
"Ever since I came across this recipe, my family has loved me for finding it. This recipe is an official holiday/special occasion breakfast. I always have to make a double recipe because everybody wants seconds! (And there is only 5 people in my family...)"
"The cinnamon-sugar topping is heavenly! However, as much as I love cream cheese, I really think this recipe would be much better without it."
"I loved this French Toast..add the orange..Hum Hum!"