- 1 package devil's food cake mix (regular size)
- 1 package (1.4 ounces) sugar-free instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup (8 ounces) fat-free sour cream
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1-1/2 teaspoons confectioners' sugar
- In a bowl, combine the first seven ingredients; mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Coat a 10-in. fluted tube pan with cooking spray and dust with flour; add batter.
- Bake at 350° for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely. Dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Ultimate Chocolate Cake
"I tried this yesterday. I didn't like it. The consistency was sort of rubbery. Not very sweet either."
"I am diabetic and tried this cake. I did not like it. I guess I am just used to a sweeter cake."
"I made this cake for Easter and I was very happy with the result. It was moist, lovely spongy texture, and not too sweet. I served it with raspberry and vanilla ice cream. I did use 4 eggs instead of the substitute. It did give it an eggy odor so maybe next time I will try the substitute. I'd like to try other flavors using this as a formula to keep calories down."
"What do you put if you don't have applesauce? Help please"
"So tender and yummy! This one is a keeper!"
"Made it for the first time tonight! It is great! I also used 4 eggs instead of the egg substitute. I checked it after 40 minutes and it was done. Very moist!"
"This is now our favorite cake. Very moist and very easy to make."
"This cake has become my families favorite. Moist and chocolatey, easy and quick to prepare. I use five whole eggs instead. After cooling, I sprinkle it lightly with powdered sugar to make it eye appealing as well as taste appealing."
"Sorry to be a spoilsport but this cake was very disappointing. I was looking for an enhanced boxcake recipe that was fit for company, I was extreemly disappointed and embarassed. It was dry and slightly chocolately....made as written. If I realized it was a healthy diet cake I would've gone with butter or oil instead of applesauce and added lots more chocolate. If you are watching your fat and sugar and don't care for a dry cake this is it!!!"
"Very moist. I took it to work and it was all gone by noon."