- 3 cups cubed peeled turnips
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg
- 4-1/2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- Place turnips in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; mash with butter. Cool slightly.
- Beat in egg. Combine the flour, baking powder, brown sugar, salt, pepper and nutmeg; stir into turnip mixture.
- Spoon into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Toss bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until heated through and a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 3 servings.
Originally published as Turnip Puff in Cooking for 2 Fall 2007, p18
Reviews for Turnip Puff
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 21, 2014
"My husband loves this recipe!"