Top-Rated Italian Pot Roast Recipe
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 4 whole cloves
- 3 whole allspice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup sherry or reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Hot cooked egg noodles, optional
- Place the peppercorns, cloves, allspice and cinnamon stick on a double thickness of cheesecloth; bring up corners of cloth and tie with string to form a bag. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown meat in oil on all sides; transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Top with celery, carrots and spice bag.
- In the same pan, saute onion in drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add sherry, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until liquid is reduced to 2/3 cup. Stir in tomatoes and salt; pour over vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender. Remove meat to a serving platter; keep warm. Discard spice bag. Skim fat from vegetable mixture; serve with beef and noodles if desired. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Top-Rated Italian Pot Roast(3)
Sort By :
I loved the flavor of this dish. I used a tip from another reviewer and put my spices in a coffee filter tied with dental floss. I used Marsala wine for the sherry and used whole grain pasta. Everyone loved it!
My husband actually said he liked this pot roast 4 times during dinner last night!
I didn't have any cheese cloth for the spice packet, so I used a coffee filter tied with dental floss. I was also out of plain crushed tomatoes, so I substituted cans of tomatoes containing green chilies. It added just a little extra kick, which my family likes.
I served it over egg noodles and think it might be good over rice too. We had Taste of Home's Taste-of-Fall-Salad with the meal, and everyone was wondering if we were celebrating a special occasion they had forgotten about.
Wonderful depth of flavor with little effort. I used a 3 pound chuck tender roast and cooked it on low in the crock pot for 7 hours. It was even better the day after.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Slow Cooker Recipes >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Dinner Recipes >
- Healthy Cooking Recipes >
- Healthy Dinners >
- Healthy Main Dishes >
- Healthy Recipes >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Low Carb Dinner Recipes >
- Low Carb Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >