- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces, divided
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar, divided
- 6-1/2 cups sugar
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- About 6 drops green food coloring, optional
- Cream cheese and crackers, optional
- In a blender or food processor, place the jalapenos, half of the green peppers and 1/2 cup vinegar; cover and process until pureed. Transfer to a large Dutch oven.
- Repeat with remaining green peppers and another 1/2 cup vinegar. Add the sugar, cayenne and remaining vinegar to pan. Bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Quickly stir in pectin. Return to a rolling boil; boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Add food coloring if desired. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids.
- Process for 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Serve over cream cheese with crackers if desired. Yield: 7 half-pints.
Reviews for Texas Jalapeno Jelly
Sort By :
"I made this jelly with a few modifications. I wanted a reduced suger variety so i altered the pectin to a low or no sugar powder and cut the sugar amount by about half. It turned out great. What a wonderful way to preserve left over peppers from my garden."
"A very easy recipe to make and turns out well. I did make a few modifications... for my cooking pleasure. After the pepper, vinegar, sugar, mixture comes to a boil I continue to boil it for 4 minutes. Also instead of simply using 2 packages of liquid pectin I use 1 package of liquid (Certo) and 1 package of powder (Sure Jell). At this point I boil it for about 2 more minutes. Turns out perfect every time. I also make this in single batches as it has a tendency to boil over very quickly. You can make a batch in about an hour, start to finish.And Yes ladies it's bell peppers..Try different colors for different colored jelly. Skip the food coloring."
"The recipe calls for three medium green peppers. Is that bell peppers? I see another person asked this question but nobody answered. I would like to make this but I want to be sure I'm making it right if I'm going to rate it."
"This jelly is awesome! And so quick! I would definitely make it again but maybe leave in seeds from 1 pepper for extra kick."
"I has a great taste, but dosen't jell with the liquid pectin. I think would be better if made with the sure-jell."