Total Time"Prep: 30 min. Process: 5 min.
Makesabout 6 half-pints
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 7 medium green peppers, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) powdered fruit pectin
- 1/2 teaspoon canning salt
- 5 cups sugar
- About 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- Place the jalapeno, half of the green peppers and half of the vinegar in a blender or food processor; puree. Pour into a large bowl. Puree remaining green peppers and vinegar; add to the bowl. Add apple juice; mix well. Cover and chill overnight. Strain through several layers of damp cheesecloth. Measure 4 cups juice into a Dutch oven (add water if needed to make 4 cups). Stir in pectin and salt; bring to a rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Add sugar; return to a rolling boil. Boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Add food coloring if desired. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Aug 29, 2013
Great recipe. Was wondering if I could use this same recipe with red peppers???
Aug 28, 2010
I used my juicer and apple cider 'flavored' vinegar and about 1/4 teaspoon butter to settle the foam and this jam set up wonderfully. Made two batches right away and the first batch was set by the time I finished with the second one! Next time will try more jalapeno for a bit more hot flavor for our taste. Will make again and often. Think it will be great with a red jelly at Christmas as gifts!