Hot Pepper Jelly
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Process: 5 min.
- 1-1/2 cups white vinegar
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into wedges
- 2/3 cup chopped habanero peppers
- 6 cups sugar, divided
- 2 pouches (3 ounces each) liquid fruit pectin
- 1 teaspoon red food coloring, optional
- Cream cheese and crackers
- Place vinegar and peppers in a blender; cover and puree. Add 2 cups sugar; blend well. Pour into a saucepan. Stir in the remaining sugar; bring to a boil. Strain mixture and return to pan. Stir in pectin and food coloring if desired. Return to a rolling boil over high heat. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat; skim off foam. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot sterilized half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles, wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water canner.
- Serve with cream cheese on crackers.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Apr 26, 2018
I needed hot pepper jelly to make TOH's Jalapeno-Lime Chicken Drumstick recipe. I divided the recipe in half. I didn't strain it or process it. It still thickened up. Be sure to stay clear of the fumes as another reviewer also said.
Sep 25, 2017
Love it!!!! I make it every fall with the peppers from my garden. I don't change a thing.
Sep 20, 2015
Just made three pints and 11 half pints. We added carrots and peaches and didn't strain it or add food coloring .
Jul 22, 2013
We have bought this jelly at our local farmers market. So good. Put in on cream cheese in little phyllo shells topped with jelly. Went really quickly. Also saw a recipe with brie and wrapped in puff pastry. So pretty. Have found several recipes for this any plan to make my own
Feb 17, 2013
Proportions are al wrong. No need to strain. Instructions are terrible.
Jan 15, 2011
I have made this two times now and both times I have requests for more! YUMMY! Wear gloves and a mask though when making. Fumes can be a little over whelming.
Dec 18, 2010
good recipe, good flavor, the only difference I made was to use only one packet of liquid pectin per recipe. No difference in gelling so will continue to make this but with half as much pectin.
Oct 17, 2009
Have made this several times, It's Great if you like hot For parties or gatherings I mix it with cream cheese so that it just has a small bite and put it into an Accent decorator. Guests can dispense as much as they like onto a ceacker.
Sep 16, 2008
I have the TOH cookbook with this recipe in it. Could you tell me what issue this is in? I can't seem to locate it.