- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- CARAMEL ICING:
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and baking soda. In a large saucepan over medium heat, bring the cocoa, water, oil and butter to a boil. Gradually add to dry ingredients and mix well. Combine the eggs, buttermilk and vanilla; gradually add to batter and mix well (batter will be very thin).
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a heavy saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter and milk. Cook and stir over low heat until sugar is dissolved. Increase heat to medium. Do not stir. Cook for 3-6 minutes or until bubbles form in center of mixture and syrup turns amber. Remove from the heat; transfer to a small bowl. Cool to room temperature. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth. Frost cupcakes. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews for Texas Chocolate Cupcakes
"What can I say but WOW.... this is in my top 5 cup-cake recipes. It has an excellent taste and the consistency is perfect. When I made the first batch the chocolate was maybe just not as strong as desired but it was still excellent. For the other batches I added an extra 1/8 cup of cocoa and these were a tad stronger and everyone likes these better. I did not use the mentioned frosting and the cup-cakes were sprinkled with chopped walnuts before baking and they turned out fantastic ..... this is an EXCELLENT recipe and it is highly recommended... enjoy ..."
"Personally, my family liked that these didn't have a strong chocolate taste. They were very moist and the frosting was very good. I made it into a birthday cake instead of cupcakes."
"Cupcakes did not have a strong chocolate taste. to greasy and the frosty was good but to sweet."
"I found this recipe yesterday and made it for dessert. I found the cupcake very good but the frosting was the best I've ever made. I will make again but maybe try using the recipe as a cake."
"These taste good but you definitely need to use paper liners in the muffin cups because the cakes stick really badly"