Chocolate Texas Sheet Cake
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 20 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, cubed
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons whole milk
- In a large saucepan, bring the butter, water and cocoa just to a boil. Immediately remove from the heat. Combine the flour, sugar, baking soda and salt; stir into butter mixture. Combine the eggs and sour cream; stir into butter mixture until blended.
- Pour into a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Bake at 350° for 18-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, cream the butter and confectioners' sugar. Add cocoa, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Spread over cake.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 359 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 273mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (41g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Mar 26, 2017
A good cake, easy to make, etc., but even though I increased the cocoa powder in both the cake and frosting to five tablespoons, it just wasn't chocolaty enough. There was too much of the icing as well, in my opinion , but then I'm not someone who cares much for frosting. My favorite chocolate cake is the One Bowl Chocolate Cake on this site, and I prefer it with a homemade custard sauce or just plain.
Feb 4, 2016
Simple to make, moist, tender and tasty.I made half a recipe in a 7" x 11" pan. Since I usually find baking too sweet, I cut the amount of sugar by half. After reading tkitchens' review, I also used strong coffee instead of water.I did not make the frosting and it was good without it.
Aug 22, 2008
Chocolate Texas Sheet CakeFor additional rich flavor, I use 1 cup of strong coffee in place of the water.
Dec 16, 2007
If Kristie will heat the milk, butter and cocoa briefly on high heat then add powdered sugar, vanilla and a dash of cinnamon she will have a more fudge like frosting that needs to be ready to frost cake within minutes of removal from oven. our family likes pecan pieces sprinkled over top. happy eating "The native Texas Grandma"
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.