- 4 to 5 pounds pork spareribs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Cut ribs into serving-size pieces; place in a shallow roasting pan, bone side down. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and celery; cook and stir for 4-5 minutes or until tender. Stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer for about 10 minutes or until slightly thickened, stirring occasionally; remove from the heat.
- Drain fat from roasting pan. Pour sauce over ribs. Bake 45-60 minutes longer or until ribs are tender. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Tangy Spareribs
"I had the same fear of the ribs not getting tender enough... and I was right! I used St. Louis cut ribs, so that may have been the problem. I did actually like the sauce a lot... it has a nice bright flavor .... so I think I'll try the crockpot version that brat85 suggested."
"I made these last night using baby back ribs I had in the freezer instead of spareribs. Also, after adding the sauce, I cooked them covered for a while because I like my ribs really, really tender and didn't think the cook time in the directions would be long enough. I cooked them for a total of 2 1/4 hours and they did get tender. I wish they were a bit saucier and will make double the sauce next time."
"after I made this recipe and let it simmer, all I could taste was ketchup. I added 1/12 teaspoon of granulated garlic, which enhanced the flavor. My daughter liked it a lot and took the rest of the ribs home for her daughter."
"I am trying to print this recipe so I can have it on hand whenever we want ribs."
"I saw this recipe in the Oct. 2012 Taste of Home Mag. It sounded good But it is anything like (Tangy). I`m sorry but I`m going to say good but NO TASTE! I`ll go back to BABY RAY`s Sorry!"