- 3/4 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Add the cheese, salt and pepper. Drain macaroni. Add to cheese mixture; toss gently to coat. Yield: 2 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Swiss Macaroni and Cheese
Sort By :
Adding my star rating because it did not appear the first time.
Nice twist on a basic pasta & white sauce recipe. I doubled the recipe and added a bit of shredded cheddar for more cheesy taste, but the Swiss still shines through. VERY tasty, I was licking the sauce off the spoon before I even added it to the pasta.
A word of caution, stir the milk almost constantly while waiting for it to boil or it will burn.
I did not like it, my husband and son did though.