- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) Red Star® Platinum Superior Baking Yeast™
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 can (15-3/4 ounces) cut sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water; let stand for 5 minutes. Beat in the sweet potatoes, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Add enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; cut each into 12 wedges. Brush with butter. Roll up from the wide end and place, pointed end down, 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 13-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Yield: 3 dozen.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Crescents
Sort By :
"With the unanimous 5 star rating, I was excited to make these. I had a difficult time with the dough being extremely sticky. I ended up adding about 7 cups of flour. I was expecting them to be light and fluffy like so many of the reviews describe (similar to canned crescents) , but I thought they were pretty heavy. I figured all that flour made them dense and considered throwing them out, but my husband commented that they were good so I went ahead and froze them. I have since reheated them many times and they are delicious! Still not light and fluffy, but tasty as can be. I will use canned sweet potatoes next time."
"These were a big hit for Thanksgiving. Highly recommend."
"Made these for Thanksgiving... When it came time for leftovers, the rolls were the most requested!"
"I have made these rolls for years and they are always wonderful. I usually forget to brush the melted butter in before rolling them into crescents! Still fantastic."
"Delicious. This made a lot of rolls. I did freeze and followed the recipe for freezing from the button rolls."