- 3/4 pound beef sirloin tip steak, cubed
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes with mild green chilies, undrained
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 1 can (12 ounces) root beer
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a Dutch oven, brown steak in oil. Remove and set aside. Add the ground beef, onions and garlic to the pan; cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain.
- Return steak to the pan; stir in the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Yield: 13 servings (1 cup each).
Originally published as Sweet and Spicy Chili in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2011, p244
Reviews for Sweet and Spicy Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 17, 2014
"This is my family's favorite chili. It's the only one they ask for."