I grew up on a farm, and we ate beef often. I was so pleased to find this recipe 15 years ago, since it gives pot roast a new mouthwatering flavor. I'm always looking for no-fuss delicious meals, and this slow-cooked supper is definitely one of them.—Erica Warkentin, Dundas, Ontario
- 12 small white potatoes, peeled
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (about 3 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place potatoes in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Trim fat from roast; cut in half. In a large skillet, brown roast in oil on all sides. Transfer to slow cooker.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings; saute onion in reserved drippings until tender. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar and salt. Pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-6 hours or until meat is tender. Before serving, pour sauce into a skillet. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until reduced and thickened. Serve with potatoes and beef. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet-and-Sour Pot Roast in Taste of Home October/November 1996, p39
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet-and-Sour Pot Roast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review