- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared mustard
- In a large bowl, combine the bread crumbs, salt, pepper and eggs; crumble beef over top and mix well. Add onion and half of the tomato sauce. Press into a 9x5-in. loaf pan.
- Bake at 350° for 50 minutes. In a saucepan, combine the sugars, vinegar, mustard and remaining tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Pour over meat loaf; bake 10 minutes longer.
- Freeze option: Securely wrap and freeze cooled meat loaf in plastic wrap and foil. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Unwrap meat loaf; reheat on a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan in a preheated 350° oven until heated through and a thermometer inserted in center reads 165°. Yield: 6 servings.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.
Reviews for Sweet and Sour Meat Loaf
Sort By :
"Okay, but not great. Did not taste like sweet & sour."
"My husband loved it!"
"This was a delicious meatloaf and the sauce was fabulous! However, though we tasted the 'sweet' flavor, we couldn't really pick up the 'sour'. Should I use more cider vinegar?"
"Truly enjoyed this recipe. I have a standard recipe for meat loaf that is my claim to fame with my large group of friends and family, but this one is a nice change."
"This is very good! I made it exactly as written and the flavor and texture were great. The sauce really makes it. There is enough sauce to put some on the cut pieces as well as on the top. Will definitely make again."