Strawberry Jam Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 5 egg whites
- 2 cups pureed strawberries
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 3 cups cake flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup pureed strawberries
- 1/2 teaspoon strawberry extract
- 1 cup seedless strawberry jam, divided
- Sliced fresh strawberries, optional
- Grease and flour three 9-in. round baking pans; set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg whites, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the strawberries, sour cream and extract. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt; add to the creamed mixture. Transfer batter to prepared pans.
- Bake at 350° for 22-26 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add the confectioners’ sugar, strawberries and extract; beat until smooth.
- Place bottom cake layer on a serving plate; top with 1/2 cup jam and 1/2 cup frosting. Repeat layers. Top with remaining cake layer. Spread remaining frosting over top and sides of cake. Garnish with sliced strawberries if desired. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Strawberry Jam Cake(10)
Sort By :
I don't think the photo of this cake goes with this recipe. Both the cake and the frosting are pink with the puréed strawberries. I agree with the comment that the frosting becomes too thin when you add the strawberry purée to it. I'm disappointed in the overall appearance and also think it's too sweet. I'd reduce the sugar if I made it again.
Could you use whole eggs instead of just the whites? Love the rich strawberry flavor!
I made this for my son's birthday using all organic ingredients (pesticides and GMOs not needed, thanks!). It tasted pretty good but it was too dense. That was my fault because I didn't use cake flour. I make a whole wheat all-purpose flour using half whole wheat soft white flour and half whole wheat hard white flour. I should have used about 1/8 cup less flour and it probably would have been just right.
The reason for only four stars is because of the icing. The consistency was perfect before adding the strawberry puree. After its addition, the icing became way too loose and I *had* to store the cake in the refrigerator to keep it from oozing everywhere. It needed more powdered sugar to hold it together better. Actually, my advice would be to leave it out altogether unless you're wanting pink icing because adding more sugar probably would have made it too sweet (it was definitely sweet enough as it was). The extract by itself is enough for the flavor.
Thanks for the recipe. :)
Alinor, did you even attempt to make this cake or did you just wet your pants when you read the amount of sugar and carbs one slice contains? It's dessert for goodness sakes. I made it and had a very large slice. If people don't like the way something comes across then move on to the next recipe.
Recipes should be tried before submitting a review! Do not condemn this delicious cake. Everything in moderation. As far as measuring the strawberries before or after pureeing, it is definitely intended the strawberries be pureed first. A recipe will always be written, should always be written anyway, reading left to right. Had the author intended it the other way - measuring the strawberries first and then pureeing them - it would have been written thus, "2 cups strawberries, pureed". See the difference? This is a delicious cake intended for special occasions. You can lighten it up a bit using light cream cheese and light sour cream without affecting the flavor or outcome.
More Recipe Collections
- Baby Shower Recipes >
- Berry Recipes >
- Bridal Shower Recipes >
- Cake Frosting >
- Cake Recipes >
- Cakes >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Cream Cheese Recipes >
- Desserts >
- Easter Desserts >
- Easter Recipes >
- Father's Day Recipes >
- Frosting Recipes >
- Kids Desserts >