Steaks with French Onion Sauce Recipe
Enjoy the taste of your favorite soup with a knife and fork! French onion soup gets “beefed” up in this unique main dish from Vicky Carlson of Shreveport, Louisiana. A slice of toasted French bread fits right in.
- 2 beef tenderloin steaks (4 ounces each)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dash garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 pound small fresh mushrooms, halved
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed beef consomme, undiluted
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 slices French bread (1 inch thick), toasted
- Sprinkle steaks with thyme, pepper and garlic powder. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown steaks in 1 teaspoon butter on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute mushrooms and onion in remaining butter until tender. Reduce heat to medium. Add wine or broth to pan, stirring to loosen browned bits; cook for 2-3 minutes or until liquid is reduced by half. Add consomme and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Return steaks to the pan. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until meat reaches desired doneness (for medium-rare, a meat thermometer should read 145°; medium, 160°; well-done, 170°). Serve with toasted French bread. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Steaks with French Onion Sauce in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p9
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Steaks with French Onion Sauce(1)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2009
This dinner is excellent and one my family absolutely loves. It's a keeper, for sure.
More Recipe Collections
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Cooking For Two >
- Cooking For Two Magazine >
- Cooking For Two Recipes >
- Dinner for Two >
- Dinner For Two Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Mushroom Main Dish Recipes >
- Mushroom Recipes >
- Quick Beef Dinner Recipes >