- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4-1/4 to 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup baking soda
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Kosher salt, sesame seeds, poppy seeds or grated Parmesan cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add sugar, salt and 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a stiff dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down; divide into 12 portions. Roll each into a 14-in. rope; tie a knot at each end.
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large saucepan, bring water and baking soda to a boil. Place pretzels, one at a time, into boiling water for 30 seconds. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain well on paper towels.
- Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Brush with egg; sprinkle with desired topping. Bake 12-14 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
Originally published as Spooky Pretzel Bones in Halloween Bookazine 2015 2015, p82
Reviews for Spooky Pretzel Bones
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review