- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cold brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- MOCHA FROSTING:
- 3 tablespoons milk chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, beat sugar, coffee, oil, eggs, vinegar and vanilla until well blended. In a small bowl, combine flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into coffee mixture until blended.
- Fill paper-lined muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For frosting, in a microwave, melt chips and butter; stir until smooth. Transfer to a large bowl. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and enough coffee to achieve desired consistency. Pipe frosting onto cupcakes. Top with sprinkles; gently press down. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews for Special Mocha Cupcakes
Sort By :
"I've made these cupcakes about three times and the frosting dozens of times. It's my go-to chocolate frosting -- the coffee just adds that extra depth to the chocolate flavor without being overwhelming. Even my coffee-hating father-in-law was raving about the frosting and was surprised when I told him the "secret" ingredient.Unfortunately I've found that every time I add coffee as an ingredient in cake, it tends to dry the cake out (and honestly, the coffee flavor doesn't come through well anyway). Couldn't get these cupcakes to be moist no matter how much I watched the bake time. The frosting, however, is to die for IF you make it as the magazine originally said, which is NOT to melt the butter in the microwave. Just melt the chips, let them cool, and blend them with the softened butter, powdered sugar, and cooled coffee. I also only use semi-sweet chocolate chips (replacing the milk chocolate chips with additional semi-sweet chips). It's sweet enough and there's no reason to buy two different kinds of chocolate chips."
"The mocha flavor is distinct without being overpowering. Excellent!"
"It made 17 cupcakes for me! I filled my standard sized cupcake pan 3/4 or almost more full (2 pampered chef medium sized scoops for each one). Don't know if anyone else had that issue or not. They're baking up nicely:)"
"The cupcakes were delicious and moist, except for the tops which came out a bit crunchy; not sure they need a whole 20 mins. I did not care for the icing however, next time I'll make a traditional buttercream and substitute the milk with coffee."
"These are great chocolate cupcakes with a rich flavor. But I was disappointed that I couldn't really taste any coffee flavor. Using espresso would have probably made a difference."