Our Test Kitchen home economists dress up purchased angel food cake with an easy-to-make coffee-flavored frosting.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee granules
- 3 tablespoons boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons baking cocoa
- 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 prepared angel food cake (8 to 10 ounces)
- Chocolate sprinkles, optional
- For frosting, in a small bowl, dissolve coffee granules in water; set aside. In a bowl, cream butter until light and fluffy. Beat in cocoa. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar and coffee granules until smooth.
- Cut cake into three horizontal layers. Place bottom layer on a serving plate; spread with frosting. Repeat with middle cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer; frost top and sides of cake. Garnish with chocolate sprinkles if desired.
Originally published as Mocha Angel Food Torte in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004