- 1 package (16 ounces) elbow macaroni
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups (16 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- Cook macaroni according to package directions; drain. Place in a 5-qt. slow cooker; add butter. In a large bowl, mix 3 cups cheese, evaporated milk, condensed soup, 2% milk and eggs. Pour over macaroni mixture; stir to combine. Cook, covered, on low 3-1/2 to 4 hours or until a thermometer reads at least 160°.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cook, covered, on low 15-20 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with paprika. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Slow Cooker Mac 'n' Cheese
"This recipe required a lot of cheese, but did not taste very cheesy at all. The flavor was weak, and the cheese didn't melt completely; it ended up with a crumbly, stringy texture, instead of being smooth and melty like Mac N cheese should be. I followed the recipe exactly, except I used non-fat milk instead of 2%. I won't be using this one again."
"Delicious recipe! With mine I check on it every 30 to 40 minutes stirring it just to make sure it wouldn't stick and burn. It came out perfect, even topped mine with crushed cheese its. My husband and kids loved it!"
"So delicious! I added bacon bits (homemade) at the end and was divine !!! I think the secret is not opening the top of the crockpot much and only stirring once or twice while cooking bc mine started to crumble some. Also, I didn't use the cheddar cheese soup simply bc I don't like the taste ...I used Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheese and some garlic powder. It was a hit !"
"So disappointed after all the wonderful reviews. Separated and was inedible. Followed the directions exactly. Not sure what I did wrong. Was hoping to take to school for a teacher appreciation dinner."
"Awesome recipe! I tried this today for a pot luck and got rave reviews. I used a blend of cheddar, Colby and Monterey Jack and used about six cups total. I only pre-cooked the macaroni briefly (maybe 3 minutes) and the texture was perfect after 3 1/2 hours. I will definitely be making this over the holidays!"
"Perfect...LOVE IT !!!"
"We were very leery of making mac n cheese in a slow cooker. However, since my mother-in-law passed away last year, we have been experimenting with new recipes. I have one I fix all of the time which was my grandmother's. However, we miss my mother-in-law's recipe so my brother-in-law printed this one out and we tried it......AMAZING!!!!! It is very close to my mother-in-laws and the slow cooker, an excellent idea! WE LOVED IT!!"
"This was a huge hit at my halloween party last night. I made a pot and half and used shells instead of elbows. Kids and adults both loved it. I had no issues w separation at all. I did add some pepper, ground mustard and nutmeg to mine as well. Next time I may put in some shallots and cubed ham. It doesn't have that crunch that I like w a normal baked one which is why I almost didn't give it the last star, but I shouldn't have expected that with a slow cooker."