This is my go-to pepper stew. When my garden yields green peppers, I dice and freeze them for those cold, blustery days to come.—Debbie Johnson, Centertown, Missouri
Recommended: 23 Healthy Slow Cooker Recipes
- 1-1/2 pounds bulk Italian sausage
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 to 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons beef base
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups tomato juice
- 3/4 cup uncooked instant rice
- In a large skillet, cook sausage and onion over medium heat 8-10 minutes or until sausage is no longer pink, breaking up sausage into crumbles; drain.
- In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine sausage mixture, green peppers, brown sugar, beef base, salt, pepper, tomato sauce, tomatoes and tomato juice. Cook, covered, on low 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
Stir in rice. Cook, covered, 15-20 minutes longer or until rice is tender.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little water if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Slow-Cooked Stuffed Pepper Stew in Taste of Home Everyday Slow Cooker & One Dish Recipes Annual 2016, p45
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Stuffed Pepper Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review