- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 pound fully cooked andouille sausage links, cubed
- 1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 small sweet red pepper, diced
- 1 small green pepper, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 celery rib with leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pound cooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 16 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is no longer pink. Stir in shrimp. Cover and cook 15 minutes longer or until heated through. Discard bay leaves. Serve with rice. Yield: 8 servings.
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Slow-Cooked Hearty Jambalaya
"Made this according to recipe except I left the adding of the Louisiana-style hot sauce to each individual according to their personal taste, which worked out perfectly."
"The taste was awesome. I did find that it had a lot of juice. I just drained it off and used it to make some SERIOUSLY good rice!"
"This is amazing! My husband said he felt like he was in New Orleans :) The only thing I did different was to put in raw shrimp and let it cook for about 20 minutes. Excellent recipe, thanks for sharing!"
"I made this for a large family gathering. Many of us had never eaten it before, and it was a hit!"
"I had boneless chicken thighs on hand, which I used instead by cutting them up, salting them and partially cooking them. I omitted the celery and red pepper since I didn't have them on hand, as well as the extra thyme since it was already in my homemade Cajun seasoning.Everyone enjoyed it with hush puppies."