Shredded Wheat Bread Recipe
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 cup crushed Shredded Wheat cereal
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 5-1/2 to 6-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter, optional
- In a large bowl, pour boiling water over cereal. Add the molasses, shortening and salt. Let stand until mixture cools to 110°-115°, stirring occasionally.
- In a bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add cereal mixture and 3 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks. Brush with melted butter if desired. Cool. Yield: 2 loaves (16 slices each).
Reviews for Shredded Wheat Bread(2)
Sort By :
Wonderfully tasty! I even cut back on the molasses a little and added a little wheat flour. I can hardly wait to make it again!
I doubled this recipe and added rasins, great big hit with family and friends. Made it Monday, and its Friday, putting my apron back on for another batch