- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon lemon-pepper seasoning
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 8 whole pita breads
- Toppings: tzatziki sauce, torn romaine and sliced tomato, cucumber and onion
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine first nine ingredients; add chicken. Cook, covered, on low 3-4 hours or until chicken is tender (a thermometer should read at least 165°).
- Remove chicken from slow cooker. Shred with two forks; return to slow cooker. Using tongs, place chicken mixture on pita breads. Serve with toppings. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Shredded Chicken Gyros
"Annaf27-lemon,oregano,olive oil, vinegar-is plenty Greek. You have never been there, and aren't Greek yourself, I assume. Not all Greek cuisine uses those elements, but many do. A good recipe, and yes, I there is room for a little adjustment for personal tastes. That's is part of the delight of cooking. Greek-American, yes. "Absolutely nothing Greek about it"? Not true."
"Excellent! I loved the lemon flavor, the chicken was very moist (we cooked it 2.5 hours) . I did add a little salt like a previous reviewer did."
"Lemon chicken. That should have been the title for this recipe. It wasn't bad, but there was absolutely nothing Greek about it. We won't be making this recipe again."
"This is great! I add Greek Seasoning to mine and serve it with lemon potato wedges. This is one of my family's favorite dishes. Leftovers freeze well."
"This was delish! Go heavy on a good nonfat tzatziki sauce. I did add a little salt. We enjoyed the leftovers on a big salad."