- 8 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1-1/2 cups whipped cream
- Place egg whites in a large bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 300°. Add vinegar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, about 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- Spread into a greased 10-in. springform pan. Bake 50-60 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack to cool (meringue will fall).
- Serve with strawberries and whipped cream. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Schaum Strawberry Torte
Sort By :
"The person who wrote that it was "the worst recipe I have ever attempted to make" didn't make it right. Ideally you need a really good mixer, such as a KitchenAid. You need to beat the egg whites until they are glossy and hold stiff peaks -- the stiffer the better. If you do that, the schaum torte will come out great. Everyone just raved over it. I used 9 egg whites (probably one too many) and the full 2 cups of sugar. I didn't think it was too sweet."
"This is the worst recipe I have ever attempted to make. None of it works, you end up with a horrid eggy mess. This pastry abomination has ruined my taste buds, and my life. I am going to kill myself on Friday because of what this Torte has done to me. Thanks a lot, goodbye forever."
"Absolutely loved this. I used blueberries and raspberries and a blackberry & lavender sauce. Sooooo good. Both of my great nephews liked it too. It was so easy and convenient to make."
"I forgot to mention that by using the cornstarch to replace 1 cup of the sugar, & serving 16, the WW Points Plus are 2."
"I served this for Easter dinner to rave reviews, even from 2 teen-age grandsons! When I started to make it I realized I only had 1 cup of sugar, so I followed the advice as reviewed by "speek" & used 2 TBSP of corn starch for the other cup of sugar. Some of the adults commented that it had "just the right amount of sweetness"."