I'm a home health nurse and got this recipe from one of my elderly clients, who had used it for years. Now, it's one of my family's favorites. It will never curdle, thanks to the secret ingredient of powdered nondairy creamer. —Kathy M Johnson, Lake City, South Dakota
- 3/4 cup powdered nondairy creamer
- 1-3/4 cups water
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon paprika
- 6 large potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups diced fully cooked ham
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a small bowl, mix creamer and water until smooth. In a small saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, onion, salt and paprika until smooth; gradually add creamer mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 1-2 minutes or until thickened.
- In a greased 13x9-in. baking dish, layer potatoes and ham; pour sauce over top. Bake, covered, 15 minutes. Uncover; bake 40-50 minutes longer or until potatoes are tender. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 5-10 minutes or until edges are bubbly and cheese is melted. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Scalloped Potatoes 'n' Ham in Taste of Home April/May 2008, p31
Reviews for Scalloped Potatoes 'n' Ham Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review