Saucy Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 12 ounces Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Reserve pulp. Cook shells in salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside.
- Chop zucchini pulp. Place pulp in a saucepan; add the sausage, tomato sauce, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place zucchini shells in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon filling into shells.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mustard.
- Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Saucy Stuffed Zucchini
Sort By :
I cut this recipe in half. We made for dinner tonight. This is a perfect way to use up some of the excess zucchini we have in the garden!!! Be careful the zucchini holds the heat very well and you can easily burn your mouth. Very easy to make! I also added some homegrown fresh garlic which also added some great flavor.
Precook end the zucchini as directed but it was still too watery. We liked the filling so we dumped the zucchini and served it over noodles.
This is amazing! I used regular bulk sausage from the local meat market and it still was excellent. Made enough for dinner and froze the rest for later. Will make again.
Absolutely it s soooooo good
You must use this recipe as often as you can
We love it
Easy to make and good to eat!