Saucy Stuffed Zucchini Recipe
- 3 to 4 medium zucchini (1-3/4 to 2 pounds)
- 12 ounces Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Cut zucchini in half lengthwise. Scoop out pulp, leaving a 1/4-in. shell. Reserve pulp. Cook shells in salted water for 2 minutes. Remove and drain. Set aside.
- Chop zucchini pulp. Place pulp in a saucepan; add the sausage, tomato sauce, peppers, onion, Italian seasoning and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5 minutes. Place zucchini shells in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Spoon filling into shells.
- In a saucepan, melt butter; whisk in flour and salt until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat. Add 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and mustard.
- Pour over zucchini. Sprinkle with remaining Parmesan. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 3-4 servings.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Saucy Stuffed Zucchini
Sort By :
I tried this recipe today, followed the recipe except, I used charizo pork sausage so left out the Italian seasoning. It was very good. Two of my grandsons didn't eat the 'green boat' so next time , I'm just going to peal the zucchini and chop it all up. I like the idea of putting it over rice because there was so much sauce so want to try that , too. Thanks for the recipe.
I absolutely LOVED this recipe! I never had stuffed zucchini before so this was a very good experience and I will be making it again! I didn't have any tomato sauce on hand so I used crushed tomatoes instead and it worked out fine. I also used shredded mozzarella cheese instead of parm. cheese. I think that the white sauce is very versatile also!
I have made something similar. I actually did the final "baking" on the cooler side of the grill. add cheese only a few minutes before serving to melt it. It keeps the oven heat OUT of the kitchen
Love, love, love, this recipe
Yum! We loved this recipe. It is one of our new favorites. I will be making this again for sure! Love the creamy sauce on top. Went good over rice.