Roasting really brings out the flavor of the tomatoes in this wonderful soup. It has a slightly chunky texture that indicates it's fresh and homemade. —Marie Forte, Raritan, New Jersey
- 3-1/2 pounds tomatoes (about 11 medium), halved
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 12 fresh basil leaves
- Salad croutons and thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°. Place tomatoes, onion and garlic in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt and pepper; toss to coat. Roast 25-30 minutes or until tender, stirring once. Cool slightly.
- Process tomato mixture and basil leaves in batches in a blender until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan; heat through. If desired, top with croutons and sliced basil. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Basil in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p69
Reviews for Roasted Tomato Soup with Fresh Basil
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review