Ribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings Recipe
My grandmother gave me this recipe 40 years ago. It was a favorite at all our family gatherings and church socials. Today my children are grown and off on their own, but whenever they come home to visit, they still ask me to prepare this memorable family dinner!
- 3 pounds pork spareribs or country-style pork ribs, cut into serving-size pieces
- 1 can (27 ounces) sauerkraut, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Eggland's Best Egg
- 1 cup milk
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- Paprika, optional
- Place ribs in a 3-qt. baking dish. In a bowl, combine sauerkraut, water, brown sugar and caraway seeds; spoon over ribs. Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Beat egg and milk; add to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until combined. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto hot sauerkraut mixture. Cover and return to the oven for 20 minutes. If desired, garnish with parsley and/or paprika. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Ribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings in Reminisce Extra April 1994, p49
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer
Reviews for Ribs, Sauerkraut and Dumplings(2)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review