Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 cup chopped fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup ketchup
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1-1/2 teaspoons hot pepper sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a small saucepan, bring rhubarb and water to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat; cool slightly.
- Place rhubarb in a blender or food processor; cover and process until smooth. Set aside.
- In the same saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the remaining ingredients.
- Whisk in rhubarb puree until blended. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Use as a basting sauce for grilled meats. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 2-1/3 cups.
Reviews for Rhubarb Barbecue Sauce(10)
Sort By :
I will absolutely make this again, and again! What a unique ingredient for barbeque sauce! My dad grows rhubarb every summer. And, picking tangy rhubarb is a fond memory of mine! It doesn't disappoint in a barbeque sauce! Love it! I did however, omit the hot sauce. I would have loved the spicy kick, but my kids would not! I also placed the finished product into the food processor to grind the onions. Again, adapting it for the kids! Wonderful Recipe!
Made this awesome bbq sauce and the family all want the recipe! It's a hit.
This was just to sweet for my taste. Also very high in calories and carbs.
Great recipe! The rhubarb gives the sauce an added kick. I poached chicken breasts, then shredded them, covered with sauce and served as a lower fat version of barbecue sandwiches.
The sauces is a bit different if you just use it for a dipping sauce but once you put it on ribs/chicken/pork and smoke or bbq it. To die for!!!!!