- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons paste food coloring, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint extract, optional
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking cocoa
- 1 tablespoon water
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk, vanilla and, if desired, food coloring and extract. In another bowl, whisk flour and cocoa; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Using a cookie press fitted with a disk of your choice, press dough 1 in. apart onto ungreased baking sheets. In a small bowl, mix egg white and water; brush over cookies. Decorate as desired with sprinkles. Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Freeze option: Transfer dough to a resealable plastic freezer bag; freeze. To use, thaw dough in refrigerator overnight or until soft enough to press. Prepare and bake cookies as directed. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Reviews for Red Velvet Spritz Cookies
"This may be the best spritz cookie I've ever made. I substituted almond extract for the optional peppermint extract. The dough was a good consistency for use with a cookie press, unlike many of the recipes I've tried. However, I got nowhere near 8 dozen cookies. Maybe I have a larger press, but I only got about 4 dozen."