- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake/cookie mix
- 1-1/4 cups water
- 1 large egg
- 4 cups cold fat-free milk
- 4 packages (1 ounce each) sugar-free instant butterscotch pudding mix
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 carton (12 ounces) frozen reduced-fat whipped topping, thawed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Combine cake mix, water and egg; beat on low speed 30 seconds. Increase speed to medium; beat 2 minutes. Pour into an ungreased 8-in. square pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean, 35-40 minutes. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. When completely cooled, crumble cake, reserving 1/4 cup crumbs.
- Meanwhile, whisk milk and pudding mixes until thickened, about 2 minutes. Stir in pumpkin and spices until well blended.
- In a trifle bowl or 3-1/2-qt. glass serving bowl, layer one-fourth of the cake crumbs, half of the pumpkin mixture, one-fourth of the cake crumbs and half of the whipped topping. Repeat layers. Top with reserved cake crumbs. Serve immediately or refrigerate. Yield: 18 servings.
Reviews for Pumpkin-Butterscotch Gingerbread Trifle
"This is amazing . I made this for a Luncheon For my lady friends and they could not stop eating it. It Looked just like the picture and was very easy to make. ??"
"A new family favorite!"
"I have made this several times and each time I never have left overs! I love how it is a fresh take on the pumpkin flavor. :-)"
"This was a great crowd-pleaser. It looks so nice before you dig into it! Flavors go well together. The fat-free versions of pudding are in the smaller sizes. As others said, use two boxes of the regular size pudding and you'll be fine."
"I have made this many times and have asked for the recipe every time I make it. I have read a person can't find the gingerbread mix, just saying I have seen it at Walmart. As for the problem of pudding box size...I just used 2 small boxes of vanilla pudding and 1 small box of the butterscotch."
"this trifle ricipe sounds really good so ill be trying it out very shortly"
"Everyone that tasted this loved it!"
"Made some changes. Couldn't find gingerbread cake, so made a spice cake according to package directions. Used 2 boxes instant vanilla pudding & 1 box butterscotch but NOT sugar-free & mixed it w/3 cups of milk. I forgot to add the spices to the mixture, so just sprinkled some cinnamon on top. Also used REAL whipped cream instead of whipped topping. Came out delicious. Received lots of compliments and requests for the recipe! Thank you :)"